Two bachelor brothers, last name of Landis, in the late 1800's started a collection of German (PA Dutch) items. They did so to preserve their heritage (ours also) and culture--considering the lifestyle of the country was changing with the onset of the industrial revolution. Their collection was so big it turned into an actual "living" museum. Today both original and replica homes stand in the Landis Valley as well as oodles of actual artifacts from their collection. Artisans show how things were done way back when. We had a wonderful Veteran's Day with my parents celebrating our pioneer heritage--at least the German part of it. And of course, the best part for the kids was the FARM! Those horses were HUGE!
Dan was abe to sleep in too--for an hour! What a holiday!
Note: The hawk was ACTUALLY that close. He was nice and full after such a great meal--a squirrel! Yup, he sat there only feet from us. My father said the closest he's ever seen one in the wild. Must have been on overload from the dinner.
Also Note: Beloved (the movie with Oprah) was filmed here.

1 comment:
Hey, I'm glad you found me! Originally I set up the blog to stay in touch with other adopters but it is sort of my journal now and portable to any computer I can find.
We need to get together. The kids would love it.
Your kids have gotten so big. I guess mine probably have to - its hard to tell when you look at them every day.
Post a Comment