Saturday, March 27, 2010

Supine and not screaming.





So this reflux stuff really makes us keep him in an upright position most of the time (supposed to be for 1/2 hour after eating--considering he eats ALL day long...). I layed him down on the play gym, as always (gotta keep trying right) and he actually started to swat at the toys and didn't cry for about 7 minutes. WOW! I was so happy for him.
As a side note: he typically only interacts (eye contact) when on his back or in a reclined position. I think the weight of his cheeks inhibit him from smiling, so why bother to engage in conversation. Hahahaha!

2 comments:

The Giles Files said...

Okay, so I was on Kim's blog - and you don't know me (Hi, my name is Sheri), but I decided to surf your blog because of the word "supine". Why is that? Well that word is used in our home too. You see our baby (kid # 4 for us) has severe reflux too. He's been admitted twice in the first 2 weeks of his life because of aspiration/cyanosis issues due to reflux and was on O2 and had some tests run (sure you know the drill from experience). He's on the prevacid compound and reglan to help at least tone down the acid production and get the stomach to empty a little quicker.

Anyway, to get to what I wanted to tell you. I have found the greatest thing that has helped our son sleep better. I would shout it from the rooftops to every mother who desperately needs her sleep and sanity and arms that aren't holding a baby so she can do something else (like comfort the crying two year old). We were having problems with keeping the mattress elevated enough to help (30% incline just wasn't happening) and him sliding down. After doing some research, I got a RESQ wedge for him to sleep on. (www.resqwedge.com for the info). It is freakin' awesome. It costs a load of money, but the good news is that my insurance covers it. Who knows, maybe you already found something that works, but if not maybe this could help.

Unknown said...

I too was impressed by your use of the word "supine." Not bad for two sleep deprived parents...
I am glad to hear he is feeling better... even if just for 7 minutes! He does have some serious cheeks... Perhaps if you removed the ping pong balls stuffed inside, he would feel better!
Love ya,
Francie